Update – July 2022
The Boiler Appeal is now within a few hundred pounds of its target of £30,000. This is a magnificent achievement, and we are grateful to all those who have given so generously. We will be keeping the appeal open, and in particular promoting it with visitors to Crofton over the summer, to help build up a ‘reserve fund’ for normal winter maintenance. So it is still not too late to make a donation and help keep Crofton steaming.
Please help keep Crofton steaming into the future!
Crofton Beam Engines are unique. Housed in a Grade 1 listed pumping station, our boiler and beam engines are still capable of performing the task that began 200 years ago – keeping the top levels of the Kennet and Avon Canal supplied with water.
We owe our existence to the hard work of many dedicated volunteers, originally to restore the building and engines in the late 1960s and today bringing a wide range of skills to keep Crofton in steam.
The site is owned by the Kennet and Avon Canal Trust, which is a charity. Although entry charges meet many of our day to day costs, we need to fundraise to meet the cost of major repairs and projects. Please help us by making a donation, no matter how small, to keep Crofton working for the enjoyment and education of visitors in the coming years.
What has happened?
The boiler at Crofton dates from 1899, and was installed at Crofton in 1987. It is inspected annually to make sure that it is safe to operate. A full survey was undertaken in May 2021 to identify all the work likely to be needed to enable the boiler to continue in operation for the next ten years
Work that was needed:
- replacing wasted rivets, mainly at the back end of the boiler;
- restoring the rear furnace to tubeplate flanging, requiring cleaning and welding;
- removal of the Galloway tubes, which have wasted and are not needed for safe operation of the boiler, and replacing the sparge tube (which ensures that the boiler feed water is distributed evenly along the full length of the boiler; and
- carrying out a full hydraulic test on completion, to be witnessed by our insurance surveyor.
The recommended work has been carried out over the winter by H A McEwen, who have looked after our boiler previously and are the leading UK contractor for heritage boilers. It is costing £30,000. So far, just over half of this amount has been raised.
Ways to donate
- Texting CROFTON 5 (or 10 or 20) to 70085 to donate £5, £10 or £20. (If you would like to donate but do not wish to receive marketing communications, text CROFTONNOINFO 5 (or 10 or 20) to 70085.)
By bank transfer
- By bank transfer to The Kennet and Avon Canal Trust, 30-92-63, 00441822, with reference BOILER
Become a Member
- Make a regular donation by becoming a member of the Kennet and Avon Canal Trust
And of course you can make a cash or contactless donation during a visit to Crofton!
If you are a UK taxpayer, your donation is worth an extra 25% to us if you make a Gift Aid declaration. Either complete the Gift Aid Declaration (Word) and send it to us by email (to email@example.com) or download as a PDF and send by post to the address above – or simply send us an email including the information in the form in bold.
Donations made through this appeal will be used to meet the cost of Crofton boiler repairs. If the total amount raised exceeds the final costs, donations will be used for other KACT projects, at the discretion of the Trustees, but with a priority for projects at Crofton.