Interested in Archaeology but ever wondered what’s involved in being an archaeologist? Have you seen displays of finds in museums but wondered what happens on digs? Seen archaeology programmes on tv and thought you’d like to have a go yourself?
Well now you can at Crofton’s…. Experience Archaeology steaming over the May Day Bank Holiday weekend 4-6 May!
You can see our historic beam engines in full steam and working and
Try your hand at:
- Sand tray excavation with material from a range of eras
- Facial reconstruction activity using skulls
- Strike a Celtic or Anglo Saxon coin using a coin die
Have your archaeology questions answered by TV’s Phil Harding in our question and answer session with Phil (Sunday, 2:15pm)
Learn more about archaeological digs and local finds in our expert talks:
- “Saxon Wiltshire and the Making of the Kingdom of Wessex” (Sunday, 10:45pm)
- “Gold From the Time of Stonehenge” (Sunday, 3:15pm)
- “Flint Finds from the
- “Archaeology Around Crofton” (Monday, 2:15pm)
Find out about plans to create a wonderful new museum in Wiltshire in our talk
- “A New Future for the Devizes Assize Courts” (Sunday 12:15pm)
And find out more about industrial archaeology from our friends at the Berkshire Industrial Archaeology Group (Sunday, all day) and learn all about how the Kennet & Avon Canal was restored over decades and reopened by countless volunteers and supporters in our weekend exhibition with material from the K&A Archive (all weekend).
‘Experience Archaeology’ takes place on Saturday 4 May, Sunday 5 May and Monday 6 May, 10:30-16:30 each day, with specific activities on a set day/time in the weekend as indicated above.