*** 18 JULY UPDATE – TICKETS ARE SELLING FAST for this event and we expect the venue to be full, so to avoid disappointment on the night please do book your seats by following this link! https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/the-secret-spitfires-tickets-64137368596? ***
We invite you to join us for the moving and powerful story of THE SECRET SPITFIRES that helped save Britain in the darkest days of the Second Word War.
In 1940, the Germans succeed in destroying the Spitfire factories in Southampton, believing they have ended the threat from their nemesis. But unknown to them, the British decide to build Spitfires in secret. Rural Towns and cities in the South of England become a major centre for manufacturing Spitfires, hidden in sheds, garages, back gardens, a bus depot and even a hotel. With a workforce mainly made up of unskilled young girls, boys, women, elderly men and a handful of engineers, thousands of Spitfires were built, becoming instrumental in winning the war.
Witnesses account this never before told story of amazing achievement, recounting times of terrible sadness as well as joyous times that include GI’s, a Glen Miller concert and a Joe Louis boxing match. It’s set against a backdrop of picturesque English countryside, the RAF pilots who fly them today and of course, the iconic Spitfires themselves. This incredible story concludes with Dame Vera Lynn reciting a moving poem written by a Spitfire pilot.
We invite you to join us for a screening of this moving and powerful story together with a Question and Answer session afterwards with Norman Parker, one of the last Spitfires engineers who worked on these magnificent machines. Ninety year old Norman was an engineer in the final assembly plant and historical adviser to the film.
The film will be shown at The Assembly Rooms, Marlborough Town Hall, Marlborough, SN8 1AA. The Tickets are £10.00 each via Eventbrite, to include light snacks in the interval. Please bring your Eventbrite ticket for entry to the venue. There will be a cash bar at the event and the light snacks will be served in the interval between the end of the film and the Q&A session. Doors open: 19:00. Event Starts: 19:30. Approximate end time: 21:45.
This event is hosted by and is in support of Crofton Beam Engines, Kennet and Avon Canal Trust. www.croftonbeamengines.org Registered Charity: CC209206
Terms and Conditions for Tickets for Special Events
Tickets for Special Events by Crofton Beam Engines are issued on the following terms and conditions:
1. Tickets for Special Events are valid only for the Event, the number of person(s) and the date(s) stated on them, and are non-refundable. All visitors to Crofton, including members of the Kennet and Avon Canal Trust, must have a ticket to gain entry to any part of the site / external venue during a Special Event.
2. During your visit you must retain your tickets safely for production on demand by our staff.
3. Although we will endeavour to ensure that there is no change to our advertised arrangements for the Event, we reserve the right at our discretion to alter these arrangements without notice. We will always make our best efforts to inform people of any change.
4. In the unlikely event that, for reasons outside our control, the whole Event is cancelled, we will attempt to contact you (by email to the email address provided in your order) in advance. We will also endeavour to rearrange the event at a future date. Tickets will automatically be valid for entry to a Special Event advertised as being a rearrangement of the cancelled Event.
5. The right to admission to an Event is reserved by the Kennet and Avon Canal Trust. Taking health and safety, environmental and security concerns into account at our reasonable discretion, we may refuse to allow entry to the venue / our premises, or remove from the venue / our premises any person that fails to comply any reasonable instructions that we (or our staff or third parties instructed on our behalf) may give to visitors from time to time.