This year sees the landmark 75th Anniversary of VE & VJ Day and the end of World War II.
To mark this momentous time Crofton Beam Engines will hold a very special steaming weekend in partnership with Home Front History, www.homefronthistory.com to commemorate the anniversary of the end of the conflict with a lively programme of exhibitions, living history, family workshops, re-enactment, music, displays and themed entertainment events for all the family.
Please do come and see our famous steam engines working and join us to take part in this weekend which promises to be one of the highlights of the summer season!
Friday 24 July– Film showing of The Secret Spitfires at Coronation Hall, East Grafton (evening, separately ticketed)
Saturday 25 & Sunday 26 July at Crofton (normal steaming day prices apply)
– Exhibition on the canal in wartime
– Exhibition of archive material by the Kennet and Avon Canal Trust Archivists
– Memory wall -send in your family and community memories of VE and VJ Day to include on our memory wall
– Young Peoples’ Workshops on the themes of Evacuaees and the role of the canals’ “Idle Women” in the war effort (see www.telegraph.co.uk/women/life/forgotten-story-idle-women-fought-second-world-war-britains/ for background)
– Music of the 1940s from The Crofton Stokers
– Themed World War II food and drink
– And, on the Sunday only… come over to Crofton and meet Derek Herbert aka Winston Churchill, the UK’s premier Churchill impersonator who will be joining us all day! www.churchill-lookalike.co.uk
Normal steaming day prices apply, no need to advance book just come along on the day!