Would you like to come and see us in the winter when we’re normally closed? Then read on..!
It’s well known that during the winter Crofton normally closes to the public so that our dedicated volunteers can undertake a range of essential maintenance works and then get the station ready for the start of the open season at Easter.
But we often get requests from groups of people who’d like to have a group tour at this time so as to see the Crofton in its fascinating winter maintenance mode.
Until now we’ve normally had to say “we’re really sorry”, but… now… due to staffing changes here over the winter period… we’re pleased to say… “yep, we can do that”!
We’re pleased to announce that from 1 November 2019 Crofton will be open for pre-booked wintertime guided group tours of the Engine House, Boiler House and Grounds on the following basis:
- Daytime winter guided tours are available for minimum group size of 10 (we can accommodate individuals and smaller groups, but subject to a minimum charge). The guided tour duration is approximately 1 hour.
- All tours are guided and need to be pre-booked and pre-paid with a minimum of 10 days advance notice before the visit date. There is no entry except by guided tour.
- All participants asked to dress as for an outdoors activity in winter, appropriate to the weather conditions on the day (there is no heating in the 200 year old Engine House!)
- The Boiler and Engine Houses are in maintenance mode so expect to see tools, engine components and all the signs of work going on! So visitors need to be aware this is a working industrial plant and be careful against brushing up against oil, tarp, grease and paint on surfaces etc – areas will be highlighted by the guide!
- Although the Engineman’s Rest Café is closed, hot drinks will be provided on arrival and/or after the tour within the price. If desired, pre-ordered sandwiches and cakes can be provided on request.
- Prices: Pre-booked tickets are £5.00 per head, subject to a minimum of 10. A minimum winter Group Visit Charge of £50.00 applies for smaller groups and individuals which are welcome on this basis. We can accommodate up to 50 people in one group, with the group split between different guides. There is no on-the-day walk up availability; group visits are only available pre-booked as above.
- All bookings must to be paid in full by card or cash 10 days ahead of the visit date and are non-refundable according to Crofton’s T&Cs for special events. We’re totally closed for Christmas holidays from 21 December 2019 to 5 January 2020 inclusive.
For further information, availability and to make a booking please contact the Crofton Office on 01672 870300 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. We’re open 9-5 Monday to Friday.